October turned out to be – by far – the best month of the Covid-Era for the box office. For a sample, one piece of information: 5 films released in the last 30 days (The Battle at Changjin Lake, No Time to Die, Venom: Carnage Released and My Hometown, My Country) totaled more than $ 2,050 million dollars (MDD). To this must be added that the two films with the highest profile (LBattle at Lake Changjin, from China, and Dune: Part One, from the US) got the green light for their respective sequels, which will hit theaters in 2022 and 2023, respectively.
No time to die
Agent 007’s 26th installment became the fifth film (2nd Hollywood) of 2021 to cross the global $ 600 million barrier, of which 78% ($ 472.4) correspond to international markets.
In fact, this week, the last installment with Daniel Craig added $ 51.9 million in 72 overseas markets, of which China won 60% ($ 28.2 million) and incidentally was the 3rd best debut of a Hollywood film in 2021. Today it is estimated which could end with $ 68.2 million, a good figure considering that various provinces and cities are being affected by the closure of cinemas, including the capital.
In the United Kingdom, No time to die adds up to $ 116.4 million, making it the 6th highest grossing film in history, surpassing Titanic and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Skyfall, Specter, Avatar and Avengers: Endgame. Other top territories are Germany ($ 62.0), France ($ 26.1), Holland ($ 18.4, Universal’s biggest hit in history).
North of the Rio Grande, the sequel remained in the top 5 for the 4th week, accumulating $ 133.3 million, with a view to finishing with $ 150 million. With those numbers, it’s the 6th biggest hit of the year (3rd, not counting comic book adaptations). Since we are talking about the US, a promising figure: October was the best month of the Covid-Era, with $ 638 million, surpassing July ($ 583.8 million).
Dune: Part 1
In the US, Denis Villeneuve’s film lost 62% (a standard percentage for mixed releases), totaled $ 15.5 million and accumulated $ 69.4 million in 10 days, with a view to surpassing $ 100 million this month. IMAX screens represent 1 in 4 tickets sold ($ 17.0 million).
With confirmed sequel, it added $ 21.4 million in 75 overseas markets, bringing its international sum to $ 222.7 million. Its top markets are China ($ 33.0 million in 10 days, topping the combined box office of The arrival and Blade Runner 2049), France ($ 29.0), Russia ($ 21.0), Germany ($ 19.9), and the United Kingdom ($ 18.1).
This Wednesday, Dune will exceed $ 300 million (on the last day of October it was $ 292.1 million). At this point in your trading run, your numbers are on par with Tenet and 84% above Blade Runner 2049. Globally, IMAX screens total $ 43.7 million (15% of the total), but most will go to Disney this weekend, when it debuts. Eternals.
Venom: Let There Be Carnage
In the US, the sequel has been in theaters for a month, and accumulates $ 190.4 million … but the real news unfolds in 53 overseas markets, where it only lost 41% vs. Last week, he totaled $ 21.4 million and carried accumulates $ 205.4 million. Its top markets are Russia ($ 31.2), Mexico ($ 21.5), United Kingdom ($ 20.2), South Korea ($ 16.8) and Brazil ($ 10.1).
With $ 395.8 million globally through Sunday, the antihero will surpass $ 400 million on Tuesday. Their numbers are 80% higher than Shang-chi and 67% to Black widow at the same point, and he has yet to confirm his debut in China to rise to the James Bond numbers.
Last Night in Soho
Edgar Wright’s fantasy thriller debuted on 3,016 screens in the US and got off to a terrible start, at just $ 4.16 million. Perhaps many moviegoers will wait for it to finish its 17 in theaters and for it to come to streaming, as has happened with other Focus titles. Another 19 overseas territories did not contribute much, with just $ 2.26 million to the equation
Truth be told, it was a tough product to sell, even though it starred Anya Taylor-Joy and her CinemaScore was a solid B +.
Blumhouse’s delivery stayed in 2nd place in the US (because… Halloweeen) and added $ 8.5 million in its 3rd week. It racks in $ 85.6 million (impressive figure considering it is in Peacock), and it will eventually reach 9 digits. 63 overseas territories add $ 29.4 million, for a global total of $ 115.1 million.
Other films in international markets
- Hidden Spirits (Antlers). It debuted in 2,800 theaters in the US, but only added $ 4.16 million (the same as Last night in Soho). Your C + in CinemaScore doesn’t help. 31 overseas markets (including Mexico) totaled $ 2.5 million.
- The French Dispatch. Wes Anderson’s new feature added 736 theaters in the US and advanced to 788, but its box office only added $ 2.75 million this week, for a cumulative $ 4.7 million.
- Crazy Addams 2. The animated sequel reached $ 52.8 million in the US, while in other 49 markets it adds up to $ 34.2 million. During the month you can show off your 9 digits.
- Ron Da Error. The ignored animation of Fox (now Disney) adds $ 12.6 million in the US after 10 days in theaters. In 49 international markets (including Mexico) accumulates $ 20.7 million.
- The battle at Lake Changjin. At $ 844.0 million, it is already the highest grossing film of 2021 globally, leaving behind the $ 841.1 million of Hola Mama. Both only debuted in one territory: China.
Top 10. Global box office
Weekend 41. From October 8 to 10, 2021
- No time to die $ 59,721,525 (73)
- Dune: Part One $ 36,930,000 (76)
- Venom: Carnage released $ 27,150,000 (54)
- The Battle at Lake Changjin $ 19,065,739 (1)
- Halloween Kills $ 16,653,000 (64)
- Ron da Error $ 10,328,000 (50)
- Crazy Addams 2 $ 9,697,353 (50)
- My Hero Academia: World Heroes’ Mission $ 7,126,957 (7)
- Hidden Spirits (Antlers) $ 6,660,000 (32)
- The Soho Mystery $ 6,456,000 (20)
Sources: Deadline.com, Comscore.com, Boxofficemojo.com, The-Numbers.com
Corollary. My Hero Academia: World Heroes’ Mission
From the hand of Funimation, the 3rd anime of the saga (behind and My Hero Academia: Two Heroes and My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising) debuted in 1,602 theaters in the US, and its $ 6.4 million was enough for 4th place. If we add to that what was done for the delivery in Japan, we speak of a global total of $ 37.8 million
The entry Global box office: October the best month of the Covid era was published first in Cinema PREMIERE.