Despite everything (the hate, the criticism, the unnecessary controversy), Eternals debuted with $ 161.7 million global dollars (MDD), making it the 2nd best Hollywood debut of the Covid-Era, only behind Fast and furious 9 ($ 163.0 million), and 26% above Shang Chi and the legend of the Ten Rings ($ 128.0 MDD) and 8% above Black widow ($ 150.0 million). Reviewing pre-pandemic movies, he was on par with Guardians of the Galaxy ($ 164.0) and Antman and the Wasp ($ 167.0). As data: $ 13.6 million was courtesy of the IMAX format.
The film directed by Chloé zhao debuted with $ 90.7 million in 46 international markets (it was first place in all the ‘big’ territories), and in countries like Italy, Brazil and Hong Kong it registered record numbers of the pandemic. In South Korea it was the best non-local debut in the Covid-Era, with $ 14.4 million. Behind were the United Kingdom ($ 7.1), France ($ 6.7), Mexico ($ 5.7), Australia ($ 5.0), Italy ($ 4.6), Germany ($ 4.3), Brazil ($ 4.2), Taiwan ($ 3.8) and Japan ($ 3.7). There is no news of its premiere in China.
Eternals obtained the worst CinemaScore rating of the 26 MCU films (a B, worse than Thor, with B +), but still managed to amass $ 71.0 million in the US, enough for the 4th best debut in the Covid-Era, behind Venom: Carnage Freed ($ 90.1), Black widow ($ 80.4) and Shang-chi ($ 75.4), and in front of Fast and furious 9 ($ 70.0), Without fear to die ($ 55.2) and Halloween Kills ($ 49.4).
According to Comscore metrics, 46% saw it because it’s part of a franchise they love, 44% because of the genre, 32% because of the story, and 28% because of the cast. And a surprising fact (due to the hate generated): 26% would see it again in theaters. Pum.
The ambitious film reached $ 330.4 million globally, which finally entered the global top 10 of 2021, leaving out Free Guy: Losing Control ($ 323.3 million). In the US, the ambitious film lost the lead, added $ 7.6 million dollars (-51% vs. last week, not bad) and accumulated $ 83.9 million dollars. By the end of the month it will be reaching 9 digits.
In 75 overseas markets it added $ 11.1 million and accumulates $ 246.5 million. Its top markets are China ($ 36.7 million), France ($ 30.2), United Kingdom ($ 23.0), Russia ($ 21.0), Germany ($ 20.9), Spain ($ 9.5), South Korea ($ 9.0) and Italy ($ 8.6).
No time to die
Next week, the James Bond installment will become the 4th film of 2021 that exceeds $ 700 million globally, since until today it totals $ 667.1 million, of which $ 42.3 million is courtesy of the IMAX format. In the US, after 1 month in theaters, the delivery is still in the top 3, with +3,000 theaters, where it accumulates $ 143.1 million.
In 72 overseas markets it added $ 27.2 million, for a cumulative of $ 524.3 million. In the United Kingdom, it is the 5th highest grossing film in history, with $ 122.1 million, surpassing Avengers: Endgame. In China it maintained the lead ($ 49.3 million after 10 days). There he also debuted Snake eyes, in 10th place, with $ 1.5 million, and Friday will arrive, late, Jungle cruise.
Venom: Carnage released
In the US, the sequel has six weeks in the top 4, with $ 197.0 million. Friday will be the 2nd Covid-Era film that exceeds $ 200 million, behind Shang-chi. In 54 overseas markets it added $ 11.4 million, bringing its international accumulated (excluding China) to $ 227.6 million, and its global total to $ 424.6 million. Its top markets are Russia ($ 31.0), Mexico ($ 22.2), United Kingdom ($ 22.0), South Korea ($ 16.9) and France ($ 12.0). Their next debuts are Australia (November 25) and Japan (December 3).
In the US it adds up to $ 89.7 million after 4 weeks, and could be the 2nd horror film to cross the 9-digit barrier in the Covid-Era, behind A place in silence Part 2. In 63 international markets it has $ 37.2 million, for a global total of $ 127.0 million.
Other films in international markets
- The Battle at Lake Changjin. At $ 859.5 million, it is about to become (based on local currency) the biggest hit in China, surpassing Wolf Warrior 2.
- Spencer. The biopic debuted in 996 US theaters, with $ 2.1 million. They are discrete numbers, but attention: it is from the same study (Neon) that led to Parasite to the Oscar.
- The French Dispatch. In the US it grew to 1,205 cinemas (there were 788) and accumulates $ 8.4 million after 17 days in theaters. In 16 overseas markets, it amounts to $ 11.1 million ($ 19.5 million global)
- Ron-gives error. In the US, the forgotten animation adds up to $ 17.6 million after 3 weeks. In 49 overseas markets it amounts to $ 28.9 million ($ 46.4 global)
- Last Night in Soho. In the US, it barely accumulates $ 7.6 million after 10 days on the billboard, with a view to not reaching $ 10 million. Overseas, it adds up to $ 5.1 million (and cost $ 43 million).
- Crazy Addams 2. This week the sequel hit the promised land of $ 100 million. It adds $ 101.4 million, $ 46.5 million in the US and $ 54.9 million in 40 international markets.
- Sooryavanshi and Annaatthe. Both films from India debuted this weekend and collectively raised between $ 15 million and $ 16 million globally (as they also made it to the US).
Top 10. Global box office
Weekend 45. From November 5 to 7, 2021
- Eternals $ 161,700,000 (47)
- No time to die $ 33,407,899 (73)
- Dune: Part 1 $ 18,720,000 (76)
- Venom: Carnage released $ 15,865,000 (55)
- The Battle at Lake Changjin $ 8,635,560 (1)
- Ron-da Error $ 8,400,000 (50)
- Crazy Addams 2 $ 5,523,915 (41)
- Halloween Kills $ 5,517,000 (64)
- The French Dispatch $ 4,400,000 (17)
- Secrets of the Heavenly Book $ 3,734,965 (1)
Sources: Deadline.com, Comscore.com, Boxofficemojo.com, The-Numbers.com
Corollary: Red Notice
Before coming to streaming on November 12, Netflix premiered its blockbuster in 750 theaters in the US and (apparently, because there were and will not be official numbers) it raised between $ 1.25 and $ 1.5 million. The film with Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds cost $ 200 million, making it the most expensive on the platform.
The entry Eternals is, despite everything, the 2nd best debut of the Era-Covid was published first in Cine PREMIERE.